Monday, April 4, 2011

Thing 9: Podcast


I decided to search for a podcast concerning job skills as my students participate in a work program two days each week. I stumbled across Modern Manners Guy Quick and Dirty Tips for a More Polite Life. While some of the lessons are not school appropriate, some may very much apply to events in my students' lives. I think these podcasts could serve as social stories for our students with autism and other developmental delays.


For example, I found a podcast titled, "What to Say when Someone Dies." In the podcast, it also suggested what not to say when someone dies. It suggest to hug or pat the person on the back in their time of grief. While this may sound like common knowledge to most people, it is something our students with autism need to know. In addition, I love the idea of using a podcast to relay information like this, versus a book, as most of our students are auditory learners.


Here is the link to "What to do When Somebody Dies" podcast. I am going to explore the site more to see what other podcasts are available for use.

No comments:

Post a Comment